Making a Gift of Stock
There are many advantages to you, the donor, if you choose to make a gift of appreciated securities to Hospice of the Western Reserve.
Most important, your generous donation will help ease the burden of serious illness for our patients and families.
You may realize unique tax benefits for your generosity. If you have owned the stock for more than one year, you may receive an income tax deduction for the full fair market value of the stock at the time of the gift. You may avoid paying capital gains tax on the increased value of the stock.
Please contact your tax adviser for information on the specific implications for your situation. Remember, you should transfer the stock directly to Hospice of the Western Reserve before it is sold, in order to receive the maximum tax benefit.
If you would like to make a gift of stock, please contact Laura Lee Martin at 216.383.3716 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
- If your broker holds the stock, instruct your broker in writing of the shares you wish to give to Hospice of the Western Reserve. Send a copy of your letter to Hospice of the Western Reserve (details below). Be sure to include your name or the donor’s name, address and phone number.
- To complete an ELECTRONIC TRANSFER of stock, your broker will need the direct transfer code (DTC) number, which is below. Be sure your broker calls Hospice of the Western Reserve to inform us of the pending transfer before completing the gift.
- If you hold the certificate, deliver or send by registered mail the UNENDORSED CERTIFICATE to Hospice of the Western Reserve. Include a letter stating that you are giving the stock to Hospice of the Western Reserve and for what purpose.
- SEPARATELY, deliver or send a stock power signed (exactly as your name appears on the stock certificate) and containing the medallion guarantee; your broker can help you with this requirement. You may obtain a stock power from your broker or banker.
- Information your broker will need:
Hospice of the Western Reserve uses the following firm to complete transfers:
Attention: Natasha Carmichael
Morgan Stanley Smith Barney
200 Public Square, Suite 2600, Cleveland, OH 44114
Office: 216.523.3019 Fax 216.523.3050
Hospice of the Western Reserve Account #: 305-109313
DTC Code: 0015
HWR IRS Tax ID #: 34-1256377
Laura Lee Martin, Senior Development Officer
Hospice of the Western Reserve
17876 St. Clair Ave, Cleveland, Ohio 44110-2602
Phone: 216.383.3716 | Fax: 216.298.0242
Please be sure to inform Hospice of the Western Reserve of all pending transfers.
For personal assistance planning your contribution or to discuss other giving opportunities, please contact:
17876 St. Clair Ave.
Cleveland, OH 44110
Making a gift of stock
Thank you for your interest in making a gift of stock. Use these directions to assist you with the process.